Dr. Karl Kuhn will join us to speak on the issue of the Rise of Extremism in America. The presentation will look at the rise of extremism in many different aspects of American life, and how it often results from social, political, economic, and psychological factors more so than strictly religious motivations. He will address the issue of Islamic Extremism – Fact and Fiction in his presentation as well.
Please join us for this very informative forum, which will allow us to explore the why rather than just touching on the what. As always, this forum is free and open to the public – please invite your friends and family members!
(You don’t have to be a member of the Wash. Co. Dems to attend! All welcome!)
We will have several candidates running for various DPW positions with us to speak at our next meeting! These candidates include Joe Donovan, Khary Penebaker, Peter Peckarsky, Luke Fuszard, Meg Andrietsch and more. Join us for this and more at our May meeting!
To learn more about the candidates running for DPW positions, you can click here.
IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE VOTED FOR TRUMPCARE, THEY VOTED TO:
- Take away health care from 24 million Americans. This is according to nonpartisan estimates by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). This will result in 24,000 – 44,000 more Americans dying every year from lack of insurance. Not to mention medical bankruptcies, lost wages, untreated illnesses…
- Hike deductibles by $1500 on average. TrumpCare pushes Americans into low-quality, high cost-sharing health insurance by providing meager tax credits compared to the Affordable Care Act. This is the opposite of what Trump promised in his campaign.
- End the federal protections for people with pre-existing conditions. TrumpCare incentivizes states to drop consumer protections, meaning insurance companies will be able to charge people more if they have a pre-existing condition. 130 million Americans have a pre-existing conditions. People could face premiums well over $100,000 a year.
- Allow insurance companies to charge older Americans significantly more for their health care. A single, 64 year old adult making $26,500/year would have to pay $14,600 in annual premiums—a 750% increase from current law.
- Cut $880 billion from Medicaid, a program that more than 70 million Americans, half of which are children, rely on. TrumpCare cuts federal funding for the program, which will result in states having to ration care and cut the quality of services.
- Put lifetime and annual benefit caps back on the table for even those with employer coverage. This means a baby with a serious medical condition could use up its lifetime limits in the first month of life under TrumpCare.
- Make women pay more for health insurance than men. Because insurance companies could charge more for pre-existing conditions like breast cancer or assault survival and because pregnancy care no longer would be a required benefit, women would once again pay more for health care than men.
- Defund Planned Parenthood. Nearly 3 million Americans, especially women and families, receive affordable health care services annually at Planned Parenthood facilities. TrumpCare prohibits any funding from going to these clinics.
- Harm children with special needs by cutting Special Education funds for schools. Medicaid funds a large portion of education for students with a variety of disabilities. Buried in the bill is a provision that no longer recognizes schools as required Medicaid providers, on top of the massive cuts to the program.
- And, it does all of this in order to pay for $600 billion in tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.
If your Congressional Representative voted for TrumpCare, it is critical that YOU hold him/her accountable for every one of the terrible provisions in the bill.
Call and/or visit Congressman Sensenbrenner (voted “Yes”) to express your concerns. Some form of the TrumpCare bill will likely be returning to the House.
TrumpCare now moves on to the Senate where it will need a simple majority to pass. Call and/or visit Senators Baldwin and Johnson with your concerns and personal stories.
The following are the dates and location for the 2017 Democratic Party of Wisconsin State Convention.
Democratic Party of Wisconsin 2017 State Convention
June 2-3, 2017
Madison Marriott West
1313 John Q Hammons Dr, Middleton, WI 53562
Becoming a delegate: You must contact Wash. Co. Chair Tanya Lohr if you are interested in being a Washington County Delegate: firstname.lastname@example.org; 414-467-8469. You also must be a current member of the Democratic Party to be a delegate. Please contact membership chair Lynn Carey at (262) 617-1288 or email@example.com to check on your membership.
Sunday and Monday: Closed
Tuesday – Thursday: 11 AM – 5 PM
Friday: 11 AM – 3 PM
Saturday: 8 AM – Noon
PLEASE NOTE THE OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON SATURDAY, APRIL 29TH!
The Wisconsin budget process is underway and the Joint Finance Committee will hold six regional hearings around the state to hear public comment. Here are the remaining meetings:
Tuesday, April 18 – Spooner High School, Spooner
Wednesday, April 19 – Ellsworth High School, Ellsworth
Friday, April 21 – Marinette High School, Marinette
All Wisconsinites are allowed to speak to their concerns at these budget hearings.
Sunday, June 25th
7:00pm West Bend City Hall, 1115 S. Main Street
If you have questions about attending a Town Hall, please contact Nancy Harris at (262) 353-2307 or firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Lynn Carey at (262) 617-1288 or email@example.com.
Wednesday, April 19
5:30 pm West Bend Library
7:00 pm Jackson Village Hall
If you have questions about attending a Town Hall, please contact Nancy Harris at (262) 477-1091 or firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Lynn Carey at (262) 251-1014 or email@example.com.